Monday, February 05, 2007

Monday Reflections (Romans 15)

I meditated on Romans 15 this morning as part of my devotional time. It is truly a passage with which all Christians should remain familiar. Paul wrote...
15:1 We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. 2 Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. 3 For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: "The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me." 4 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. 5 May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, 6 so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
It is rare that I have an "emotional" experience when I reflect on Scripture (I am just not wired that way), but I have to say that this morning was an epiphany of sorts. Paul, as he discusses the Christian's life in light of the gospel (chapters 1-11 of Romans), ties unity in the church to the "strong" Christian's ability to bear the failings of the weak. Why was the impression of this passage's emphasis such a sobering moment for me this morning? Because I experience frustration on a daily basis in my service of the church (as does almost everyone). Too often I go through life just viewing this frustration as a "cross" that I must bear. In other words, I notice all of the failures of those around me and assume one of my ministries to the church is just to "put up" with them for the sake of the kingdom.
Then I prayed through this morning's passage and was reminded of all of my failures as a husband, father, and pastor. Failures which others in my life are forced to bear. That is when God used this passage to humble me and reveal the significance of verses 5-6. For every "failure" or "weakness" of someone else that I bear, the chances are that someone else is bearing just as many of my "failures" and "weaknesses." I have no reason to view my self as some kind of super servant. Every strength I have is balanced by a weakness, a failure. A contributing factor to unity in the church is the ability of the strong to bear the failings of the weak. Who is strong? I am. You are. Who is weak? I am. You are. We move toward the unity that enables us to speak with one mouth and heart for the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ when we learn to bear each others weaknesses and failures. Paul said we don't do this to please ourselves, but to build one another up. That glorifies God.
I said all of that to say this: thank you for bearing my failures. I pray that God will continue to give me opportunities to build you up in the Lord. Planting a church is hard work. It is work that exposes our many shortcomings. Let's embrace the concept of Romans 15 as we attempt great things for God in 2007.
Yours in Christ,
Chris
By the way, I will save "The insults of those that insult you fallen on me [Christ]" for another post. Its implications are just as significant.