Friday, February 09, 2007

Adoption: A Biblical Perspective

Marcie and I have made no secret of our desire to adopt several children once I complete my studies at Southern Seminary. While we have two wonderful children that have been an absolute blessing from the Lord, it has always been our desire to have many more children. My prayer has actually been that we never have an "empty nest." When asked why we would adopt, I have always replied that it is a very biblical concept. After all, we as Christians have been adopted into God's family and are joint heirs with Jesus Christ. This morning I was forwarded a wonderful article that communicates the same perspective. I hope you enjoy reading it.

While I promote and encourage the concept of adoption frequently (and it is a topic you will hear much more of in the future), I have not been outspoken enough in my desire to see American children adopted. I praise the Lord for families like the Moores and Stinsons that have stepped out in faith and gone to great lengths to adopt children from foreign countries. It is a practice which I would like to see replicated more often in our churches (one of my very good friends recently adopted from China). At the same time, I want to encourage the American church to consider adopting children that are currently in the American foster care system. Do you realize that there is a tremendous shortage of American families willing to adopt in this country? We currently have families from other countries coming here to adopt African-American children because nobody here will. What a travesty!

While I am not yet familiar with Indiana's specific nuances with regard to adoption procedures, I do know that in other states (for example, Florida), that if you adopt a child that has been in the foster program, you not only get to avoid the exorbitant fees associated with other forms of adoption, but you also get help maintaining that child's insurance, etc. In Florida, if you adopt a child from the foster care system, the state will actually pay for them to go to college!
Granted, there are a number of different issues raised by adopting through the foster care system rather than adopting an infant internationally or from the United States. Potential behavioral problems are but one significant issue with which Marcie and I will probably be faced (which is why we are waiting until after I finish my Ph.D. in December to adopt). The church, however, has a golden opportunity to impact the US in a significant manner by reaching out to these children that have been abandoned by their parents. I hope that you will begin to pray with me about adopting in 2008. Adoption is just another example of how we can share the love of Christ in a tangible way. It is also a great way to grow our children's ministry!

Chris